I think that in today’s day and age we have reached the point where we know the benefits of learning a foreign language in general but we have yet to answer the question of what are the benefits of learning a language that is Ancient or a dead language? What possible things could that help me with? For those of us who are in love with these languages the beneficial things are obvious. There are many reasons that learning an Ancient Language can help you. I hope to detail a few:
- If you love history it allows you to read historical documents in their original language.
- This will improve your English vocabulary. (as many words in our language are derived from ancient languages. Specifically Latin)
- This will improve your SAT score.
- If you are religious you will have the ability to read holy manuscripts in their original language.
- You will get to learn all about the culture of older people.
- You will have fun!
- It will improve your ability to learn more languages. Learning Latin is a great first step for those who want to be polyglots in the Romance Languages as they all derived from Latin. For those who would like to learn more Germanic Languages Greek is a great place to start.
That is not a comprehensive list of why languages are good but those are only a small few reasons to why it is beneficial.